Nutritional health coach to the stars, and bestselling author of GET THE GLOW, Madeleine Shaw knows how to make you go weak at the knees for healthy food like her recipe for Heartwarming Pho as featured below
From Madeleine, 'I love pho for supper; it’s a Vietnamese-inspired soup with plenty of heartwarming veg. This is the perfect light meal for a cold night when you’re looking to get loads of vitamins in one hit'.
1 tbsp coconut oil or butter
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
100g wild or button mushrooms, chopped in half
450ml chicken stock
1 tbsp tamari
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
1 large carrot or
2 small, julienned
3 pak choi, cut in half
1 red chilli, finely sliced, to serve
2 spring onions, finely sliced, to serve
1. Heat the oil or butter in a pan, throw in the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds, then throw in the mushrooms and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
2. Pour over the stock, tamari, star anise and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Throw the carrots and pak choi into the soup to cook for a further 7 minutes while you prepare the eggs. Gently lower the eggs one by one into a pan half-filled with boiling water and boil for 5 minutes for runny yolks and 9 minutes for hard-boiled.
4. Drain and hold under cold running water to stop them cooking and to cool them enough to peel.
5. Ladle the soup into two bowls, slice the eggs in half and place on top of the soup. Throw the chilli and spring onions over the soup to serve.
When you come across the cinnamon stick or star anise, remove them, they are there to add flavour to the soup but not to be eaten.
More from Madeleine:
Nutritional health coach to the stars, and bestselling author of GET THE GLOW, Madeleine Shaw knows that life is a balancing act. Monday to Friday it's hard to juggle the demands of work and family with eating healthily, and the weekends are full of temptations that undermine our best efforts to get our glow. Madeleine offers the answer in READY, STEADY, GLOW, a beautiful and accessible cookbook designed for real life.
READY, STEADY, GLOW is a book of two halves offering weekday recipes that can be made in less than 30 minutes, alongside sumptuous show-stopping meals perfect for the weekend. All recipes are wheat- and sugar-free, bursting with flavour and nutritional value, and contain natural ingredients that can be found in your local supermarket.
Not so long ago, Madeleine Shaw would wake up feeling bloated, tired and unhealthy. So she decided to turn her life around and embarked on a journey to health that saw her travel to Sydney where she learned the art of eating well.
Inspired to share her story with others, she is now a trained nutritional health coach, food blogger and creative cook. Her six-week 'Get the Glow' programme is in-demand by an impressive list of high-profile clients, all of whom Madeleine has helped enliven the hottest, healthiest and happiest versions of themselves.
For now at least, Madeleine lives in London, where she is never too far away from her healthy staples: a blender, a yoga mat and a coconut!
Visit Madeleine's website at: madeleineshaw.com which is bursting with health and nutritional advice.